Friday, October 4, 2019

Mary Berry's Apple Cake

My free-time includes watching British baking shows. One of my favorites is The Great British Baking Show. There is so much to learn in each episode. My latest discovery is that BBC Food's website has a lot of the recipes from the shows!

Lately, I've been spending my baking efforts in learning how to measure in ounces, grams, milliliters and using Celsius. There are also a lot of ingredients that either aren't available here in the US or have a different name that mean the same thing.

1. For example, "caster sugar" is fine or baking sugar. The less expensive method to get caster sugar is to put regular sugar in the mini food processor to grind down.
2. Another one is "icing sugar". The British term for confectioner's or powdered sugar.
3. "Double Cream" is heavy whipping cream, but in the UK, it is actually a bit thicker and tastes better.
4. I'm addicted to lemon curd (found in the jelly section of the store). Admittedly, I didn't make it from scratch this time. There is a French jar at Safeway that is super delicious.
5. Typically British recipes call for an 8 inch pan and in the US we use 9 or 10 inch. This time I used 9 inch cake pans, so the cake isn't as tall as I'd have liked. Thanks to Amazon, I have some 8 inch pans on the way for next time. :)

Can't wait to share this one!





No comments:

Post a Comment