Friday, October 4, 2019

Apple Cake (BBC Food)

It's getting crisp and cool outside-fall is in the air. I had a bowl full of apples that I needed to use up, so I decided to make two different apple cakes. Another British recipe, this one has potential, but I came away with some lessons learned and personal preferences.

1. I learned that French Cider isn't easy to find here. I decided to go with a bottle of Angry Orchard instead. Next time, I'll branch out and see what other hard cider options are out there.
2. "Sultanas" in the US are golden raisins.
3. "Bicarbonate of Soda" = baking soda
4. Mascarpone with just cinnamon and heavy cream doesn't add value to the recipe. It was very bland. I think I might add honey or sugar next time.
5. It baked in an 8" springform pan, but I think it really needed a 9" to give it room to bake all the way through. It almost gets overdone in order to get the middle cooked. And, at 6400 feet elevation, it requires about 1 hour 15 minutes to bake as it exits.

I may or may not make this one again...there are so many other apple recipes I have yet to conquer. :)



No comments:

Post a Comment