Sunday, October 13, 2019

Lavender and Chamomile Shortbread Cookies

I'm an active member of a few baking groups on Facebook. This weekend this recipe came up and it sounded delicious! I've made honey lavender ice cream and had other confectioneries that contained lavender but never chamomile. I've always enjoyed chamomile tea, but rarely drink it since I'm fairly calm already and wine is usually my choice when it's time to sleep. I went to our local grocery store called "Sprouts" and found chamomile and lavender in their bulk spices. In the future, I need to grow my own. I'd imagine home grown would add an even richer flavor to these. One think to note is that it is a shortbread so be aware that it takes up to a pound of butter. By the time you steep the flowers, only a cup is used, so about half. The dough was very yummy. The directions are a little vague when it comes to the size of the cookie cutter. And they ask for 1/2 inch in height. That's too tall. The dough needs to be rolled out to 1/4 inch and probably 2 inches in diameter at best. Also, there is no mention of the 1/2 cup of milk in the directions, but I added it anyway. I think the cookies ended up too wet, with not enough flour and didn't become the crunchy shortbread that they should have been. I've contacted the author for clarification. 

They'll definitely make the perfect shortbread for tea or dunking in milk. I'd say work-in-progress on this one, but I'm in love with the concept. There are so many butter infusion options! 




No comments:

Post a Comment