Monday, March 13, 2017

BIEROCKS (GERMAN STUFFED ROLLS)

I'm in the following (amazing) facebook group: Homesteading with Patara of Appalchia's Homestead
I get a ton of good homesteading tips as well as anecdotal stories to read and share. A few days ago, someone posted that they were able to get cabbages for 15c/lb, so I went to my local grocer and found them for 25c/lb. I was so excited I bought 8 head! I also have been working on my bread-making skills so I decided it was time to make bierocks from scratch.

I'm so glad that I've spent the past week using my Mixer Bible to learn tips and tricks about bread making, such as warming up the mixer bowl in warm water, warming up the stove or microwave as a place to let the dough rise, and making sure the temp of melted butter and milk is at 100 degrees F so it doesn't kill the yeast. I also had made lasagna the night before and had leftover beef/sausage/onion mix. I put the cabbage in a pan and added the meat and was done in a flash. [The sausage also added a nice spice.] Finally, I sprinkled shredded cheese for extra yumminess. The one thing I forgot to do is add egg and/or butter to the tops, but it still was a hit with the family. After watching a couple of YouTube videos, I decided to make it like a pie with 2 pieces of dough, one placed on top and pinch the edges. If you're looking for a short cut, Rhodes rolls are a great alternative.

Next project is homemade sauerkraut and repeat this recipe replacing the cabbage with sauerkraut. :)




No comments:

Post a Comment