Saturday, April 15, 2017

Gumbo

Every once in a while I get a craving for New Orleans style food. The hubby had added to the freezer Andouille sausage and the store was having a great sale on shrimp so I decided it was time for a nice big pot of gumbo. I will say this is the best version I have ever tried, the hubby seconded that. I cooked the bacon and sausage in the bottom of the pot first then started adding the other ingredients. I also like to add rice to my gumbo. Since I only had a couple of hours to get it simmering and served, I used the rice cooker then added the cooked rice to the pot. The hubby has a hard time with green peppers so I used my mini food processor to chop it up fine--no complaints! I used Sriracha for the hot sauce and, although I think there is a misprint regarding the gumbo file powder, I added 4 teaspoons, but 3 might have been a little better. I did add 6 cups of water rather than 3 since I added rice. I also added carrots per the hubby's request. I recommend taste testing and add salt in moderation. This one is definitely a keeper. :)







No comments:

Post a Comment