Wednesday, October 19, 2016

Black Bean 'n' Pumpkin Chili

I found this recipe in an email recently and decided I "had" to make it. Believe it or not, I've never used fresh pumpkin, but the decision was pretty easy at the store....1 14oz can of organic pumpkin was 4.99 and 2 pumpkin pie size pumpkins were 2 for $5...no brainer. I couldn't believe how much edible pumpkin these 2 produced as well as the happy pigs that loved the skins. I wanted to use dry black beans, but ran out of time, so I did use canned beans. We still have racks of tomatoes that are ripening in the sun room, so they worked great. Every 2 weeks, I make chicken broth for the dogs and so I added the shredded chicken from the last batch. The hubby was extremely impressed with the chili and has decided that pie pumpkins and/or Hubbard squash will be planted in the garden next year. I'm really excited about the new recipe opportunities that are now open, similar to our first crack at butternut last year :)


No comments:

Post a Comment